Partner in our Real Estate department, Craig advises on all aspects of commercial property matters including freehold acquisitions and disposals, investment portfolio work and acting for both landlords and tenants on commercial leasehold work across all sectors. Having joined the firm as a trainee in 2006, Craig has overseen the development and expansion of, and now heads up, the commercial landlord and tenant team.
A trusted advisor with a portfolio of repeat clients, Craig has a relaxed and transparent working style, with clients benefitting from being involving through every stage of the process with guidance both on legal and commercial considerations. By involving the clients throughout, Craig is able to gain a better understanding of the clients business and their specific needs and concerns to ensure the clients commercial objectives are achieved. This, in turn, helps to ensure that he can build lasting relationships with clients with a view to working collaboratively as their business operations expand and develop.
Craig also regularly advises Administrators and Liquidators on property related insolvency matters.
Outside of work Craig is a keen sportsman and, although limited in time with three young children, enjoys playing golf, football and squash
Recent Work Highlights
- Acting for large contruction plant hire company in securing HQ site for £4.85m
- Acting on sale of prominent sale of office building for residential conversion for £1.85m
- Acting on sale of multi-let industrial estate for a £2.1m
- Acquisition of leasehold HQ office and development premises for multi-national US backed food production and distribution company and subsequent reorganisation exercise including intergroup property transfer at value of £21m and various high value lease renewals and dilapidation considerations.
- Advising client on relocation of London HQ offices including initial negotiations on the lease renewal and following impact of Covid 19 advising on exit strategy and negotiation and completion of new lease to alternative premises.
- Acting for client in continuing expansion of their property investment portfolio, in particular the sale of off-plan industrial unit and multiple new leases of existing properties
- Acting for client in their acquisition of development site for future nursery proposal and relocation of existing premises
- Acting for client on portfolio acquisition of residential flats across Brighton & Hove
- Acquisition of business premises advising on impact with Sharia law
- Acting for a partnership on the sale of a portfolio of properties
- Acting on the sale of a large, high value industrial unit for a company in administration
- Sale of entire issued share capital in Sussex based care home and care in the community company
- Acquisition of strategic development site for new HQ premises for Higgidy Limited
The Legal 500 2021: Recommended Lawyer
Craig is recognised by The Legal 500 2021 as an "exceptional talent" and listed as a recommended lawyer for his Real Estate practice and landlord and tenant work.
"Stand out individual is Craig Burton, who is our lead contact at PDT Solicitors. Whatever the legal requirement we have, Craig either efficiently deals with this himself or guides us to whoever at PDT is best able to assist us albeit he then always takes an active role it making sure matters continue moving swiftly irrespective. The personal touch is all important and Craig’s professional, expeditious, courteous and friendly manner is an all important reason why he is so well regarded, not just by our company but by business colleagues across our local area. An exceptional talent amongst an exceptional team at PDT."
The Legal 500 2021