Described in The Legal 500 2020 rankings as a “pragmatic litigator” Justin is very effective at robustly advancing his clients’ interests, resolving their disputes cost-effectively with minimum disruption to everyday business.
Justin has a wealth of experience, developed over a decade of practice, pursuing disputes to trial in the County Court, High Court and Court of Appeal. Having said that, Justin only ever looks to ‘bash the wall down’ with litigation in the right circumstances, and usually as a last resort. He will always explore with his clients the possibility of finding another route ‘around the wall’ to achieve a desired goal.
Justin works with businesses and individuals in all aspects of commercial and insolvency litigation, including contractual disputes, invoice and asset finance litigation, shareholders disputes and contentious insolvency work, in the latter case acting for officeholders or defending against their claims. He also has considerable experience dealing with director disqualification disputes and forensic investigations.
With a passion for travel, fly fishing and a love of the outdoors, Justin has been extremely fortunate to experience some of the wonders of the world – including stalking huge brown trout in the South Island of New Zealand, avoiding bears in Yellowstone National Park and fishing under the barrels of machine guns on the border of the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea.
Key Work Highlights
- Acted for the administrators in the high profile administration of Toys “R” Us Limited in pursuing contractual claims against overseas and UK vendors
- Achieved a six figure settlement for a minority shareholder in a claim issued in the High Court under s.994 of the Companies Act 2006
- Achieved a successful settlement at mediation for a client within the food industry in relation to its claim for damages of £1.1m as a result of various breaches of a contract to design and install a robotic pick and place system
- Successfully defended a supplier to an American multinational retailer in issued proceedings seeking a judgment for £250,000
- Successfully defended a board of directors in relation to a liquidator’s claim of £1m in relation to an alleged breach of duty
- Advising on the litigation aspects of a corporate scheme of arrangement under which a client, EU Supply Plc, was sold for a cash consideration of over £15m
"Pragmatic litigator Justin McConville takes on a broad range of County and High Court litigation"
The Legal 500, 2020