Laura is a senior associate in our dispute resolution department and recognised as a recommended lawyer in The Legal 500, Commercial Litigation, 2020. She specialises in advising clients with their commercial disputes, either through court proceedings, ADR or insolvency proceedings and has experience and expertise in the area of data protection matters, invoice finance and asset-based finance litigation. Laura is also a member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association.
"Laura Sutton is excellent with a very strong pleading style and the ability to see several steps ahead for the client's benefit."
The Legal 500, 2020
Laura has an unending supply of energy and enthusiasm for resolving matters and a strong internal resilience and perseverance to get the best outcome for the client.
Laura really listens and her disarming nature, infectious laugh and her uncanny ability to make clients feel comfortable regardless of the sensitivity of the situation allows her to get to the core of the problem quickly and successfully negotiate settlements and resolve issues that are sometimes far removed from just the legal problems being presented.
Outside the office Laura is a keen music and theatre buff and loves spending time with her two daughters, family and friends.
Recent Work Highlights
- Managing a high volume case load for several invoice financiers involving debt recovery and disputed guarantor actions, including addressing the defence of negligent misrepresentation and duress pleaded by the defendant and defending counterclaim actions.
- Assisting in bringing a claim in the high court for a national invoice financier company for £500,000 and costs in a complex guarantor action involving fraud and legal principles regarding deliverance and execution of deeds.
- Assisting in defending a claim against a high-profile animal welfare charity for theft, false imprisonment, trespass, trespass against the person, undue influence in signing contractual documentation. Obtained judgment and dismissal of interim injunction for the charity, costs on an indemnity basis.
- Acting for a national invoice financier company in the high court seeking to recover approximately £275,000 from a debtor company in a complex dispute involving allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Acting for an individual guarantor defending a claim being brought by a national invoice financier company for the sum of £450,000. Defence was raised on the basis of duress, undue influence, misrepresentation and defective execution of the deed.
- Representing a client in a complex defamation claim against a child influencer.
- Acting for an insurance brokerage company defending a claim brought by a former employer for breach of restrictive covenants and negotiating a favourable settlement.
- Recognised in the Asset Based Lending sector as an expert in Factoring and Invoice Discounting litigation.
Invoice Finance litigation
Guarantees and contracts
Commercial and contractual disputes
"Associate Laura Sutton is excellent with a very strong pleading style and the ability to see several steps ahead for the client's benefit. - The Legal 500 2019"